15 1/2 fl. oz. Heavy Cream
4 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean
4 1/2 oz. sugar
A/N sugar in the raw
1. Mix together the cream with scraped vanilla bean and heat until small bubbles attach to the sides of the pot
2. Combine the sugar and the yolks, whip until smooth
3. Temper* the egg yolks into the cream
4. Fill a small ramekin 3/4 that are in a 2 in deep pan
5. Cook at 285 degrees Fahrenheit for approximately 40 minutes
6. Once cooked, coat the top of each custard with raw sugar and caramelize with a torch
*Tempering is when you slowly add the hot liquid to the cooler liquid so that you don't scramble the eggs. It should be done slowly and in small quantities.
"People who love to eat are always the best people."
My name's Abby. I am a recent Iowa Culinary Institute graduate, current owner of a small online bakery, and personal assistant to a pretty cool realtor. All in all life is busy, but the kitchen never changes, so join me as we Take on the Kitchen!