A delicious, slightly gourmet burger that will be a hit at any party this summer!
Bacon Burgers on Brioche Buns
Source: Food and Wine's Website
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 slices of thick-cut bacon (12 ounces)
- 3 pounds mixed ground chuck and ground sirloin
- 12 ounces brie, sliced
- 8 brioche burger buns, split
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the onions with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and roast until softened, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the lemon juice. Gradually whisk in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
3. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over moderately high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels and break each strip in half.*
4. Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Form the ground meat into eight patties. Season generously with salt and pepper and brush with olive oil. Grill over moderately high heat until well-browned on the bottom, 5 minutes. Flip the burgers, mound the brie on top and grill for 4 minutes longer, until the cheese is slightly melted and the burgers are medium-rare.
5. Spread the lemon mayonnaise on the cut sides of the buns; set the burgers on the bottoms and top with the bacon and onions. Close the burgers and serve right away.
* Okay so I do know this is Food and Wine Magazine and they are amazing, but I personally think that cooking bacon in the oven is the best way to do it. I cook my bacon on a sheet tray that has side, please, please, please don't just use a regular cookie sheet for your's and your oven sake. I turn my oven to 375 F for about 10 minutes. They usually cook very evenly and it also lets you keep your stove clean with no grease mess!
Honestly what more can you ask for? This burger is delicious! And because it's Food and Wine, they included a pairing and their recommendation is a Juicy, spicy Australian Shiraz. So drink responsibly, but have fun with it!
My name's Abby. I am a recent Iowa Culinary Institute graduate, current owner of a small online bakery, and personal assistant to a pretty cool realtor. All in all life is busy, but the kitchen never changes, so join me as we Take on the Kitchen!