This is a remake of my absolute favorite salad from my local coffee shop! I get just about everything time I go in. It's pretty simple and I'm super excited to share it with you today!
2 cups Spinach
1/4 dried cranberries
1/4 toasted almonds
1/2 cup chicken
1. Toast almonds in a 400 F degree oven for about 5 minutes. You will be able to smell when they are done, keep a close eye on them. Nothing is worse than burnt nuts.
2. Let them cool
3. Rinse spinach and dry
4. You can either arrange salad in a Tupperware container or place in a mason jar. And don't forget to pack your favorite salad dressing!
Trying to eat both gluten free and dairy free can be a huge hassle! But something that is super easy is making Rice and Beans! I like to make this the night before when I need to take a lunch to work, because I can make it in about 10 minutes and I can also make two days worth of lunch for under $10!
Yield: 2 days worth of lunch
2 cups brown minute rice
1 can of black beans
1 cups pre-cooked chicken
1/2 cup salsa of choice
1. Cook brown rice according to directions on box
2. Drain and rinse beans in a strainer over the sink
3. Heat up a sauce pan until warm
4. Mix together rice, beans, salsa, and chicken in tupperware
5. Pack in with tomorrow/today's lunch!
6 Flour Tortillas
1 lb. Sausage
1 Green Pepper
1 Red Pepper
1 cup Cheese
Salt and Pepper to Taste
Any other spices you like to use!(:
1. Cook Sausage in skillet until fully cooked
2. Cut Peppers into a small dice (about 1/2 inch) and add to sausage, cook until crisp tender
3. Crack eggs into a bowl, add salt and pepper, and beat with a fork
4. Add eggs to Sausage and Pepper mixture and cook until desired doneness
5. Separate Egg mixture equally into tortillas
6. Top with cheese, you can use as much as you want (;
7. Fold Burrito, in my opinion the best way is to fold in the horizontal sides, in, first and then roll from bottom to top
8. Wrap in plastic wrap and store in the freezer!
9. To reheat, pop in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Keeping them in the plastic wrap to keep
Don't feel constrained by my list of ingredients. Don't like green peppers? Prefer Bacon of Sausage? Go for it! Ultimately this is YOUR breakfast so go for it and enjoy it!
Like this recipe? Check out the full post on my regular blog page!
Want a breakfast smoothie that is quick, yummy, and healthy? This recipe is just for you! It's loaded with tons of Vitamin C so get ready for a burst of energy in the morning.
Source: Spin-off from Tropical Smoothie Cafe
Ingredients for your bag:
2 oz or 1/4 cup Goji Berries (available at Walmart here !)
1/2 cup frozen or fresh Mango
1/2 cup Carrots, peeled and diced
What to Add When Mixing:
1 cup orange juice
1. Cut Fruit/Vegetables up into 1 inch cubes
2. Store them in a Ziplock freezer bag in your freezer
1. Dump fruit into blender
2. Add Orange Juice and optional protein powder
4. Add more orange juice depending on how thick you like your smoothie
Did you like this recipe? Check out the original blog post!
Yield: 2 portions
Meatballs: Cook With Honey
Everything Else is simply me! (:
1/2 a jar of Ragu's Homestyle Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce
1 package of Target's Gluten-Free Penne
1/2 a cup of parmesan cheese
1/2 pound hamburger, grass-fed if possible
1 eggs, beaten with 1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup panko or bread crumbs
1/2 small onion, minced or grated (1/2 a large onion)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/8 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley or basil
a dash of basil
a dash of onion powder
1. Preheats oven to 350 degrees F
2. Mix all ingredients with hands. Form into golfball sized meatballs.
3. Bake for 30 minutes
1. Bring water and a pinch of salt to a rolling boil
2. Add pasta and cook for 8 minutes
3. Strain and rinse briefly with water (this get rid of any excess starch that might stick to the pasta)
4. Dump sauce into a pot
5. Heat until Content
6. Put Pasta, Meatballs, and Sauce on plate, cover with parmesan cheese and then do a low broil for about 5-10 min or until lightly browned
Enjoy this super simple homestyle meal for under $10! If you try out this recipe tag me on Instagram @Takingonthekitchen or using #takingonthekitchenblog!
My name's Abby. I am a recent Iowa Culinary Institute graduate, current owner of a small online bakery, and personal assistant to a pretty cool realtor. All in all life is busy, but the kitchen never changes, so join me as we Take on the Kitchen!